Full-Time Principal Software Systems Engineer
Company engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.
Bachelors degree in Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering or Computer Science and at least 10 years relevant experience; or Master’s degree plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred
Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance is required at the time of hire (TS/SCI strongly preferred). Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
An immediate opening for a Principal Software Systems Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
We make software that interactively visualizes data. We make software that enables massive collaboration. We make software that supports our men and women in the military, that smoothes the way of emergency responders here at home, that offers insight to researchers and data analysts. We’re a passionate, close-knit group of inter-disciplinary thinkers and doers that craft truly one-of-a-kind software used all over the world, and we do it from our cozy-casual office here in Pittsburgh.
In this role, you will:
- Guide all phases of system development and support for new business pursuits related to the battle management, emergency response, and data analytics systems by providing technical strategy, operational concept development, system architecture definition, requirements analysis, trade studies, and leadership through design, implementation, integration, and test phases.
- Be a clear and enthusiastic communicator to customers, users, subcontractors, and project teams to define, analyze, and meet project goals. You will coordinate across design, development, test, project leadership, program management, and customer representatives, creating a collaborative environment that focuses on the big picture. You will be a technical spokesperson for our company, conveying insight and confidence.
- Work towards a high-level vision, but understand the importance of details. You will proactively identify and mitigate risks and define reasonable trade space from which the team can operate. Managing multiple concurrent projects and RFIs will require you to prioritize strategically.
- Proactively determine use cases and requirements, define your own tasks, and execute with little oversight. You will accomplish program goals despite obstacles, ambiguity, changing requirements, and a fast-paced environment.
- Apply systems thinking to software, processes, people, and organizations. You will help harden software and processes into mature, mission-critical, “must-work” products.
- Mentor and guide less experienced engineers, because you are motivated to improve our work environment and help others.
- Support and develop our technical culture by being engaged, intellectually curious, friendly, motivated to solve complex problems, and inspired to deliver superior user-centered designs.