Full-Time Senior Software Engineer
Company engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.
Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering or related degree, plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Government background investigation and must meet eligibility and suitability requirements.
**Relocation may be available for this position.
Developing mission-critical systems that help keep people safe is what we do. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, you’ll be part of the team that helps heroes make a true impact. The work we do is important. The challenges we face are career-defining. The opportunity we can offer is one-of-a-kind.
This challenging and interesting software development position is a chance to participate in the development and operation of a state-of-the-art Big Data system and join a long-lived, stable program consisting of a team of exceptional individuals using defined Agile software principles and practices.
What you’ll experience:
- Evaluate and implement changes and/or enhancements to existing applications and determine the feasibility, benefits, costs, and risks
- Propose strategies to enhance existing data warehousing capabilities that improve the ability to support the mission
- Work with the team to maintain the current architecture and develop roadmaps to identify and define future strategies
- Evaluate emerging technologies and apply best of breed technologies to the operational system
What you bring to the table:
- Understanding of object-oriented programming, design patterns, data structures, and algorithms
- Understanding of software optimization (e.g., CPU issues, I/O issues, and bottlenecks)
- Experience developing in and deploying on Linux, using various scripting languages
- Understanding of database architectures and data modeling
- Experience with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) processing or data ingestion tools
- Experience designing and implementing REST APIs
- A passion for developing well-crafted and testable software, in a collaborative environment
- Welcome feedback and exhibit strong attention to detail
Ideally, you will also have experience with:
- Multi-thread and multi-process applications
- Experience with very large Databases (VLDB)/Big Data/Data Warehousing Modern C++
- Ruby Development
- Experience with researching, experimenting, and using data management tools (e.g., Microsoft Power BI, Tableau)
- Experience with cloud computing